Nominees may be an individual, couple or managing partner/shareholder of a farm group. Nominees may be two partners in a farming operation (i.e. siblings) who meet all the criteria requirements.
The nominee must be responsible for the majority of management decisions in operating the farm. They must derive a minimum of two-thirds of their gross revenue from farming and not have reached the age of 40 as of January 1 in the year of competition.
A letter of support (on formal letterhead) from a third party must accompany the application form at the regional level.
To qualify for the Regional Awards Programs the nominee must:
- Be aged 18 through 39; not becoming 40 prior to January 1 of the year of competition.
- Be actual farm operators, deriving a minimum of two-thirds of their gross income from their farming operation.
- All financial information including financial statements must be complete. Financial records will be held in strict confidence.
- Photographs are required for display and publication purposes. The PowerPoint presentation should depict the story of your farm’s achievements, the people involved, contributions to improve lifestyle and family.
The judging criteria of Outstanding Young Farmers will be:
- Progress in agriculture career (25 points).
- Environmental stewardship (25 points).
- Production history (25 points).
- Financial and management practices (25 points).
- Contributions to the well-being of the community, province and nation (25 points).
- Other information.
- Financial progress (15 points).
- Oral interviews (35 points).
- National event PowerPoint presentation (25 points).
You can download the nomination form here